Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Bicycle - the greatest artifact of all time

My beloved bike~
Bicycling makes up a greater part of my childhood memory. Up until now, riding it every now and then helps me relieve all the pressures and worries from school. Just feeling the gush of wind as I ride it makes me feel like flying. Because for me, a bicycle is a better companion than a human person be it for transportation or for leisure purposes. The first-ever bike that I bought using my hard-earned money was my folding bike. It may not be of the “elite” type in terms of quality and design, but my bike has become an extension of me, of my body and senses for through this I can directly experience the realities, the ugliness, the beauty and the mystery of everyone and everything around me. 

Hooray! I made it~
My first ever bike run was last November 18, 2012, take note, bike run. All the while I thought that there were only the mainstream fun runs happening here in our country which I have been actively participating to since high school, but I was surprised when I found out about the Firefly Brigade Philippines which is a non-profit organization that greatly advocates the use of bikes as everyday transportation and the establishment of bike lanes in major roads in the Metro Manila.  At first I was really reluctant to join for there was no one I could invite to join with me and I don’t know how to go to the event place through public transportation , but my great love for bicycles and its environmental advocacies led me to pursue this 35 km route challenge. Though in the end all my body muscles – my back, leg and arm muscles and especially my butt – were all in pain thank god I really did join for the experience itself was very rewarding.   
Yup, my bike is foldable, and so I was able to commute, yay~
That’s why I really want to be able to summon my will power in transpiring one of my childhood dreams - to go travelling far places on a bike, yeah, with my bike. For as I traverse into the next level of life's contours, submerging myself deeper into society's symbolic order, this is one of the few things I am currently only capable of in search for the real, or things closest to it. Hoping for more journeys to come! Ride on! 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment