Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Noblesse Oblige: A CSN Story

           
“First, we are born in the same galaxy. Born of the same species. Our lifetimes overlap. The meetings between humans are so unlikely as to be miraculous . . . Everyone is made up of a collection of 1 percent chances. Thus, I’m dazzled by the fact that there are so many such miracles in this world.” – Arakawa Under the Bridge

            Monday. February 17, 2014. New Era University Special Education Program Department. In less than three hours, my life has become richer. In just a short span of time, it was as if I travelled back in the past and into the future of someone else’s life. A supposed mere stranger has become someone I would definitely never forget. I was brought in to his life story, not by himself but by someone who cares about him, by someone who’s more than proud of him. He is Nielsen. And Abby loves him.
            Having a successful careers on their lives and what would be considered as a wealthy family, Nielsen’s father and mother were very much excited for their firstborn son, only to be disappointed by the situation they were given. Their son has Down Syndrome. Nielsen’s mother couldn’t quite accept it at first, but love prevailed and through time she did. But that did not end the story, for in reality, Nielsen had to undergo various medical surgeries due to complications brought about by his condition. At a very young age, he had a heart surgery and later on an eye surgery. He went from having to take four medicines for his sinuses and thyroid problems, then an additional for his emotional and behavioral regulators too, which wasn’t effective through time, so he was back to taking four medicines up until now.

            I know that was a very straightforward, super abridged version of his story. But that was because I don’t have the capacity to transmit all the emotions I’ve felt during my one hour time with him, and with his cousin Abby, the one who has enthusiastically told me his story. The one who has such loving eyes and wide smile for Nielsen the entire time she’s talking, the one who was there her entire break just to help him with his studies, to serve as an assistant teacher to him, and more importantly, to serve as his friend and a big sister to him.

            During the designation of classroom among our classmates, I was actually kind of reluctant as I stepped up and chose or rather decided randomly that that classroom was fine, anywhere was fine, we would just observe anyway, everything’s the same. But now, I was glad I did choose the seventh grade, that one classroom on the third floor, where as I entered, two CSN students were having tantrums, and I was told that one has the tendency to be physically violent while the other one looked calmed to me, and someone said something I did not quite catch. The teacher arrived and she designated me to the calmer one, which was Nielsen. There were three other CSN students along with the college students having their practicum, each CSN has at least three student teachers assigned.

            At first, I just stood there like a dumb, smiling awkwardly, not knowing what to do. What does observation mean anyway? Is it simply to watch, to be detached? Or does it encompass interactions, jibber jabber things?  I’m a socially inept person so warming with other people is such a big task for me. So with my heart pounding nervously, I continued smiling. And then I looked around for Nielsen’s companions, and there I heard the same voice again. What was said to me a while ago would only be cleared up later on as we sat around the study table after ten minutes of merely waiting, letting Nielsen’s tantrums pass by. Nielsen having tantrums was so cute, for he’s just standing there, with his hands opened being continuously moved in a wave-like pattern. He’s actually a very shy person, quite expressionless for a CSN having a fit, so socializing with other students is difficult for him too.

            The owner of that voice giving me instructions was of course his cousin Abby. She told me that Nielsen wanted to eat his lunch but since it’s not yet the right time for that, he would have to wait. As Nielsen’s tantrums subsided, he was able to greet me good morning, with my name on it. He’s a high functioning 17 year old CSN for he can speak phrases, with a mental level of a grade four at the moment, so those are the things he’s currently studying. Though he’s under the mainstream program, he has a schedule for attending a regular class at least once a week.

            As I talked with Abby, I learned that she’s an actually third year engineering student, and not a Psychology or Education student, which was my first assumption since she diligently attends to Nielsen’s needs. She’s living together with Nielsen’s family to further support him, while in return Nielsen’s parents decided to support her studies, and as she said, she will accomplish what Nielsen can’t instead, for his sake. Wow. How does she manage her time for studying while catering Nielsen’s needs? I can really see and feel her big love for Nielsen as she kept on sharing funny anecdotes and antics of Nielsen. Listening to her made time flew fast I just realized that it’s time to say goodbye. Reluctantly, I hugged Nielsen and gave my thanks to Abby, who made my experience a very comfortable and enjoyable one. Which was for me, along with the things I’ve learned, was a matter of importance too so that as I look back on that experience, it’ll be a happy and inspiring memory.

            Now, as the experience was over, it made me think back of my high school days. Thinking about it, my school then has actually a SPED department. But that’s all I know, everything else is still a mystery to me. I spent all those four years, sharing the same building with the SPED, though they’re on the second floor while we’re on the fourth on my first year, then we moved on to the adjoining building on my latter years. Still, the fact remains. Why was it that I never seemed to see any SPED student on my entire high school life? What did I do? What have I ever done? What was my school’s program anyway? Why are they so alien to us, “normal” students? Or was it just alien to me? Was it because of the time schedule? Were there just no opportunities or events for interactions? I really feel a tinge of regret for not having any clue to the answers of all these questions that popped up in my head as I was going home.

            Thankfully, I’ve enrolled in this class and attended the outdoor activity, for it lessen that regret I felt and it made the theoretical lessons clearer for me. The impact the experience made solidified my learning in this class, and what my high school motto teaches – Noblesse Oblige, a French motto which is translated as Nobility Obligates and which means that because your nobility and dignity is great, so is your responsibility. And as Spiderman popularized, indeed, with great power comes great responsibility. I believe that the motto encompassed what I’ve realized for this activity. That we, the “normal” ones are given such capabilities, skills, and talents which are easier to enhance and to put into good use compared to PWD/PSN, thus it is up to us to not to put those into waste. It is our responsibility to help them make the most of what they have, in order for them to also make the most of what life has to offer, for them to be the best that they can be as a person, just like us, just like everyone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment